Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Moalboal

After leaving Oslob I only had a few days left before catching a flight back to Luzon. This meant that I just wanted to relax and make the most of my last few days on Cebu. Moalboal is only really known for it's diving and while not the prettiest of holiday resorts it does boast a fairly nice, albeit thin slice of white sand beach on which to while away the hours. In essence it was the perfect end to my stay on this island.

After arriving in downtown Moalboal it became pretty obvious that I wasn't where I needed to be and so I had to enlist the services of a trike driver. Trike drivers tend to be a varied bunch with some guys being friendly and genuine and others being fairly sketchy. I realised this particular trike driver was sketchy when within two minutes of meeting him he was offering to find me a lady friend of the ilk that demands a fee... After politely declining on numerous occasions on the trip from the town centre to the beach he politely enquired whether or not I was homosexual because I didn't want to sleep with one of his sisters/cousins but did inform me of where I could get a cheap room and on that note he did prove useful. After bargaining for a while on the price for two nights in a room that looked like a prison cell - complete with bars on the windows - I managed to get an agreeable price and set my backpack down.I managed to catch sunset and have a beer before falling into a deep sleep.

The next day - and really my only full day here - I decided that I didn't want to do anything but unwind, so after a decent breakfast I found another trike driver to take me to what was locally known as White Sand Beach. This beach was nicer than the rocky outcrop and patch of sand by the prison cell room but I avoided staying the night here because it was a bit out of my price range. What was definitely in my price range however was finding a beach bar and eating scampi and chips and drinking copious amounts of iced tea while reading The Kite Runner. I read the book from cover to cover that day and found a bar looking right out onto the water where - with the exception of a couple of wrinklies from Germany or Austria - I was the only person around. It was perfectly serene - besides the complaints and grumbles of the old couple in a language I don't understand.

Moalboal was a cool end to the Cebu leg of this foray into The Philippines and so I found myself heading back to Cebu City and catching a flight back to Luzon...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment