Thursday, 11 November 2010

"You're Mum's So Hot I Can't Handle It"...

The past couple of weeks I've been working between schools. I'm currently being loaned out to one of our sister schools three days a week. It's quite nice in as much that it breaks up the week and isn't so bad as it's quite close – about a 20-30 minute drive. That being said it has started to tire me out, despite time flying!...

Before the whole 'semi-transfer' situation that happened last Monday, I bumped into a student from the school in one of the local supermarkets shopping with her parents. I don't hold them in high regard really as they don't pay much attention to her. The three days that she attends our school she is usually dropped off a couple of hours early and picked up three or four hours after class. In my opinion that is neglect especially of one so young being left to her own devices in the reception area of the school. Despite all this she is always happy and very friendly, resulting in her following me around the supermarket speaking English and giving me advice on the local produce ;)... After a few minutes she informed me that she was really excited because it was her birthday, her 8th birthday to be precise. I then asked if she received any presents and she just giggled and said: “no... just food to eat with my family”... That was the point where my heart broke. It sounds a little extreme but most kids – back home at least, especially those considered rich by relative standards, which she is – are usually spoiled on their birthdays. I know that I've certainly got nothing to complain about from my past. To be fair to her she was just happy that she'd turned eight and had her usual big smile. I was a bit pissed off that all her parents could think to do for her was take her to the bloody supermarket to do the weekly food shopping. Whilst she was accompanying me, we stumbled across some cakes and I asked her which one she liked the most. She pointed at some big chocolate chip chiffon cake that cost around a quid. After making sure she found her parents again I covertly made my way back to the cake stand and bought it for her. I made sure she got to share it with her class on the Monday morning and had a little fuss about the occasion... hopefully a nice surprise and all it cost was a quid! Bless...

The last couple of weeks have just started to take their toll. I'm currently working 6 day weeks alternating days between two different schools. It's not so bad though because Fridays I get to start late and finish early. I have been teaching a group of teenagers at the new school that are pretty typical really. What I mean is that they are a bit lazy and difficult to enthuse. They turn up late and look for excuses to slack off. All in all they are pretty nice, they just need to be motivated in the right way I think. I do lots of group work with them and they generally respond. While doing one activity I decided it would be funny to pair the weird kid and the pretty girl in the class. Sufficed to say within about 5 minutes I had to separate them as the weird kid had been trying to touch her legs! He may have even had mild success... After explaining that it wasn't okay to touch women without their permission I managed to get them engaged in an activity where they had to design their own ideal society. During which time I was asked if his 'national dish' and therefore perfect food could be “vegetable pizza with sperm”... I responded slightly aghast and suggested that he drop the semen from his menu ;)... Kids here are really nice but I think they can be a little sheltered and therefore display some weird habits. Ultimately I guess the odd weirdo crops up in all circles and as a teacher you are exposed to them when they are still innocent. I don't like to judge as none of us were born perfect...

While finishing my last class of young teenagers before I head on holiday to Lombok and the Gili Islands, I noticed one of my students had not only finished his work but had managed to contribute some extra thoughts in writing. He left me a little note stating – an exact quote - “you're mum's so hot I can't handle it”... that's not a bad jibe from a thirteen year old. Especially an Indonesian who isn't exposed to that kind of banter. I couldn't let it stand just there though so I took it to some of the other teachers and he followed me quite embarrased... I'm not sure if he's just a tad odd or if it was intended as a joke. He appeared to be in a day dream when I took it from him! Of course the situation could just be that he's a bit weird and actually does have a particular MILF in mind... not mine I hope as I'm not sure I'm comfortable describing her as such!... In actual fact I've just shuddered ;)... sorry mummy!

I'll cut it short there as the next time I'll post will be an update of my holiday in Lombok and the Gili Islands!...

Peace x

No comments:

Post a Comment