Sunday, 8 August 2010

Counting down to my holidays!

The last few weeks have felt pretty surreal and I'm not really sure why. Sufficed to say we've welcomed a new teacher to the school and said goodbye to another. Morale at work has been pretty good recently despite a lot of fuck-ups with classes and materials and whatever else on the part of the school... I've refrained from ranting about them for the last few weeks because I've been really trying to project happy vibes. There has also been a little problem with some of my flights for my holidays and I'm still waiting to get a refund for a set of flights... but hey ho it'll work out I'm sure.

I have been spending a few of my weekends in Jakarta for the last few weeks or so as my last trip away was pretty stressful with all the traffic and tourists. I do plan to vmake a couple of day trips to places that are fairly local to Jakarta just to get away for a little bit.

This is more of an update of how I'm getting on at the school and what has happened fairly recently. I was joking with a 4 year-old during my small stars class on Monday and have the usual banter if being loud and blowing raspberries to make the kids laugh... I'm used to the usual "Mr you crazy!" but in response to a jibe about being a 'stinkypants' one of the brighter students in the class - bear in mind that she is still 4 years old - decided to tell that I looked like a fat Mr. Bean!... I couldn't really come back from that :( I got blown out by a 4 year old girl named Lovica! Another little classroom nugget occurred last week that amused me quite a bit was when - in a lesson about stress - a 17 year old lad decided that the most stressful situation he could think of was needing to poo and not being able to find a toilet! While that is pretty stressful, it wasn't really the conventional answer that I was expecting!

I'm also quite upbeat at the moment because as of next month I'll be going on a holiday practically every month! I'm starting with a week in the jungle in West Java in Ujung Kulon National Park; then I'm heading to North Sumatra to go elephant and orangutan trekking, to climb a volcano and see some traditional villages and also to see the largest volcanic lake on the planet Lake Toba; I'm going to Lombok in November to trek around the crater lake on Mount Rinjani and then chill out snorkelling on the Gili Islands for a few days; and after all that I'm going to spend Christmas and New Year in Central Java looking at some temples and climbing Mount Lawu and then trekking around the Dieng Plateau!... I'm pretty excited as that is really going to break the next 6 months up quite nicely!...

No comments:

Post a Comment