Sunday, 2 May 2010

Monkeys and popcorn farts...

This week at work was a little stressful... which was contrary to the nature of the week because it was full of final tests and final lessons which mean that I don't have to teach too much! As this was the case I became a little demotivated. The only further mention of work is that Friday was pay day and resulted in me finally being able to make my trip to Bandung!


Now, Bandung is known as a shopping city and a retreat from life in Jakarta... an escape route from Jakarta for the weekend. Now, I'm not entirely sure why, as the city itself has the same hustle and bustle, traffic jams and bellends trying to sell you crap you don't want that Jakarta has... the only thing I enjoyed was leaving Bandung and exploring the surrounding areas on a motorbike!


I visited a volcano called Tangkuban Prahu... it was quite nice to see up close and relatively painless in terms of walking as the only hiking you have to do is around the crater if you want to get different camera angles. Because of the ease of reaching the main crater and the fact that it is accessible by road, there are no end of turds selling things as a result of this and it is somewhat of a tourist trap. There were also quite a few locals with cameras that were shocked to see a 'bule' and I had my photo taken with no less than four different groups, it's kind of ironic that they have travelled all the way to such a place of natural beauty and they are more interested in a fat honkey!... The volcano was quite nice, once I had walked a kilometre or so and escaped the crowds. The crater is quite different from other volcanoes apparently, because it has collapsed under the weight of its own ash. One thing that I can be sure of is that is stinks! Sulphur doesn't smell very nice and in this case smelt like a strange mixture of popcorn and night after a curry farts!... After seeing a couple of angles of the main crater I thought I might try and see the secondary crater which is supposed to be nice and have less people... but to get there I would need to walk back the way I had come and I didn't want the hassle of hordes of people trying to sell me things... so I headed for a place called Maribaya.



Maribaya is a pretty cool place – the extortionate entry fee for 'foreign visitor' aside (5 times the price for an Indonesian but still only about £3...) – I saw an awesome waterfall that I wasn't expecting to see and I got to see some monkeys in the wild and get a few photos of them! The main attraction at Maribaya is the hot springs there – of which there are a few in the vicinity of Bandung – however, it was nothing short of disappointing! Prior to actually finding the springs though I had made a mistake and stumbled across a sign with directions pointing to things that I assumed were natural hot springs... they had 5km written next to them and I assumed that they were only a few miles so I'd walk. The walk was really nice but all I managed to find were some caves! I then realised I'd walked two thirds of the way to the next town! Regrettably now I could have seen two more waterfalls and another cave! But by that time though I'd already seen a volcano, waterfall and cave and wanted to see the springs which unbeknownst to me weren't worth the effort! They just look like a tacky swimming pool and posting a photo of them would just detract from the rest of the experience that I want to convey. The next day I also could have gone back from a different approach to see the sights that I'd missed but I was too tired and felt like something a little cheaper and easier than hiring an ojek (motorcycle taxi) to take me 30km out of the city and back again in a rush to catch an afternoon train back to Jakarta, so I spent the early part of the afternoon in Bandung and visited the geology museum there. It was okay, although I could hardly distinguish some rocks from others because I can't read in Indonesian. So satisfied with seeing the model of a T-Rex I decided to go and eat and get a taxi to the station...



Visiting Bandung was a pretty cool experience although I didn't do anything other than sleep overnight in the city really. I hadn't slept the night before leaving and caught the first train leaving Jakarta at 5.45am! So I was naturally tired after trekking around a volcano, waterfall and cave I decided to give myself an early night and conked out at the hotel about 5.30pm! I've also had complaints regarding the scope of my blog in as much that it is too tame... this has only come from one Mr. Thomas Fragiacomo... All I can do from really is be a little racist and insult his mother! Which I fully intend to take advantage of!... Thomas you're a fat pasta-swilling wop and I fancy you're mum she has nice jubblies!... Ha!... I hope Brenda doesn't get to read this ;)...

P.S. I said I wouldn't mention the school again during this post but I nearly miss the highlight of this week! One of my students, Darrell, who is a headcase but only 7 pulled a brilliant stunt in the staffroom this week! While doing a task he was set by another teacher – I used to teach him but wasn't at the time and I've just been assigned to teach him again – which involved him asking teachers questions to receive specific information, while doing this he decided to mock one of my colleagues in the staffroom... which was funny in itself. He was ranting repeatedly “Mr Michael have a girlfriend!” – which I'm quite proud to say that I taught him – but when my colleague reprimanded him by telling him to shut up he flicked the middle finger hyper extended his arm and held it in my colleagues face in front of half of the teachers at the school! Then, when the staffroom erupted with laughter he just held it for a good 20 seconds and pissed himself! My 28 year old colleague was outwitted in the banter stakes by a seven year old! Well done Darrell! I'm so proud of you!... Although the middle finger was his own design... I absolutely promise I had nothing to do with that! ;)...

1 comment:

  1. bad teacher Lee.. you must've taught Darrel to do that middle finger thingy...!!!

    Hey, keep writing about school, please.. i wanna keep updated with school's sh*t sometimes. haha

    ReplyDelete