Thursday, 13 May 2010

Kota walk


Okay, I'd like to start this post positively, I haven't posted for a while and I'm really quite enjoying myself at the moment. Jakarta is still the ugly, smelly, overgrown mess that it has always been but I am starting to accept life here in its own terms. I'm not sure if that's necessarily a good thing, but I've got so much to look forward to that I'm not even bothered by it that much at the moment.

I have just returned from a walk in the city around the tourist centre but with a twist. The tour was in a place called Kota which is the old Dutch centre of the city, but a lot of what was originally there has been pulled down and replaced by ugly typical Jakartan fare which is pretty grotesque... However the DOS from one of the other schools has spent a lot of time researching the history of Jakarta and knows quite a bit about what is still standing from the Dutch colonial era...

The walk was nice and a good way to spend a morning and it was nice to see some stuff that I probably wouldn't have seen but I'd be lying if I said that it was awe-inspiring. I really enjoy leaving Jakarta and had planned to spend my birthday weekend, which is in a couple of weeks, hiking Mount Gede... but I'm going to leave that for another time. I may head to Bogor that weekend to do something, but I haven't decided on any concrete plans yet.

The last week or so at school has actually been quite uplifting!... I have a completely new schedule and all my classes seem relatively eager to participate in lessons. I've had a couple of random conversations with Indonesians this week and they always seem to come up with something outrageous... One of the girls in the office told me that I have beautiful eyes which is all well and good but she also told me that I look like a member of Westlife! That immediately turned the perceived compliment into abuse! The best conversation I've had in the last conversation, however, consisted of me trying to convince a student that I didn't believe in “spiritual friends”... After asking me whether I believed in them and receiving the answer “no...” this particular student decided to tell me that his imaginary friend, sorry “spiritual friend”, was in the room... apparently his name is Peter... I was a bit freaked out and decided continue the rest of the lesson without consulting said student...

I'm also in really good spirits as I've booked flights to Yogyakarta for Christmas and Sumatra in October! I'm going to visit an orangutan sanctuary and climb a volcano as well as hopefully elephant trekking and seeing Lake Toba. I'm quite excited. My parents paid for those flights as a birthday presents and have really made my life easier in that regard. So on that note I'll sign off until next time!

P.S. I've found Superman... he's hiding here in Jakarta... I've even got evidence to prove it!...

No comments:

Post a Comment